Sunday, December 12, 2010

Othello Casting

Othello
"It gives me wonder great as my content to see you here before me. O my soul's joy, if after ever tempest come such calms, may the winds blow till they have wakened death" (2.1:183-186
"MY blood begins my safer guides to rule, and passion, having my best judgment collied"(2.3:199-200).
Othello is head-strong and noble and loves Desdemona with all of his heart. He also is very trusting, so trusting that he believes Iago for everything. He seemed to be easily manipulated. Othello should be black (obviously). He should be tall and heroic, walk chest out and have a deep voice.

Iago
"Thus do I ever make my fool my purse; for mine own gained knowledge should profane If I would time expend with such a snipe but for my sport and profit" (1.3:384-387).
"And nothing can or shall content my soul till I am evened with him, wife for wife, or failing so, yet that I put the Moor at least into a jealousy so strong that judgment cannot cure" (2.2:230-234).
Iago is the most cunning of all of the characters. He is not coward, but he hides behind others as he manipulates them. Iago is trusted by all for his false flattery. He shouldn't look like a creeper like popular belief, since he needs to seem trustworthy. He should be darkish looking and have a creepy smile. I should look short and thin.

Desdemona
"She gave me for my pains a world of sighs. She swore, in faith, 'twas strange, 'twas passing strange, 'twas pitiful, 'twas wondrous pitiful" (1.3:161-163)
"She's a most exquisite lady. Indeed, she's a most fresh and delicate creature. She is indeed perfection" (2.3:18-25).
She loves Othello very much and is fair to everyone. She treats Cassio as a friend even after his embarrassment. She also seems to be able to reign in Othello. She would probably be good-looking and move elegantly.

Emilia
"Good madam, do. I warrant it grieves my husband as if the cause were his" (3.3:3-4).
"Iam glad I have found this napkin. I'll have the work ta'en out, and give't to Iago. What he will do with it heaven knows, not I; I nothing but to please his fantasy" (3.3:306-315).
Emilia is kind and innocent, though her husband is not. She only wishes to please Iago, since Iago is her husband. Emilia is a good example of Iago manipulating someone. Emilia only does what she does because of Iago. She would probably be short and plump and a fussy housewife.

Comment on Haylee Winden's blog:
I agree with all of your cast and I like how you found quotes that really fit into how they should act.

No comments:

Post a Comment