Monday, December 13, 2010

Othello #3

Characters: Lodovico, Desdemona, Othello
"L: Is there division twixt my lord and Cassio? D: A most unhappy one. I would do much t'atone them, for the love I bear to Cassio. O: Fire and brimstone! D: My lord? O: Are you wise? D: What, is he angry? L: Maybe the letter moved him; for, as I think, they do command him home, deputing Cassio in his government. D: By my troth, I am glad on't. O: Indeed? D: My lord? O: I am glad to see you mad. D: Why, sweet Otheloo—
O: [Striking her] Devil! D: I have not deserved this. L: My lord, this would not be believed in Venice, though I should swear I saw't. 'Tis very much. Make amends; she weeps. O: Oh, devil, devil! If that the earth could teem with woman's tears, each drop she falls would prove a crocodile. Out of my sight! D: I will not stay to offend you. [Going]" (4.1:233-254).

I chose this passage because it is the point where husband and wife turn on each other.This passage shows how angry and changed Othello is. He is mad enough to strike his wife. This also reveals the confusion of others at his behavior and the innocence of Desdemona. Othello makes a reference to "crocodile tears" where he says that every tear Desdemona would shed is fake. Othello has gone through a transformation for the worse, and is slowly going crazy from the poison implemented by Iago.

Comment on James Dolan's blog:
I think it's weird how desperately Othello trusts Iago. He believes in every word that snake speaks. It is also frustrating that Othello hasn't told her why he is angry, which is a HUGE block in their relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment